After almost a month of wearing twists (2 sets for 2 weeks each) in order to give Z's scalp a break from tension, I decided to convert her two week old twists into a cute banded updo. The day prior to the conversion, I co-washed her hair (with the twists still in) with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner. The next evening, I proceeded with taking out her twists starting from the bottom and working my way up. As I completed a section of hair, I moisturized and banded it before moving to the next section. Here is a picture halfway through the process:
I did not have a set style in mind but I knew it had to be something simple due to the time constraint (close to bedtime hence the use of the FLASH...gasp!). I decided to connect sections into a high puff and call it a night. Here was the finished style in the back (she would not let me get a good picture of the front view because of the flash...I understand):
Her hair was well moisturized from the co-wash and from the simple spritz I made (water and Shea Moisture Curl Milk). For extra measure overnight, I added a shower cap over her puff to keep it from flattening in the morning (along with her bonnet of course). All I had to do the next day was remove the cap and gently reshape her puff, which was moist and easy to manipulate.
She wore her puff out for two three days before I decided to band that section too in preparation for a new style. I almost always prefer for her hair to be stretched for her styles except when I am doing her twists. I love her twists to look plump and full after styling on damp hair.
Overall the style was pretty low maintenance and easy to do. She rarely wear her hair in a puff because the detangling process can be tedious after a few days so this style was a treat! Detangling her puff prior to banding it was not bad due to the fact that she had a trim a month ago. I gave special care to detangle mostly with my fingers compared to using a comb; her hair was saturated with moisturizing spritz prior to detangling. It is truly a time saver when old styles can be converted into a totally new style. :)





No comments :
Post a Comment